CMSD82 2020-2021 New Student Registration & Cross-Boundary Application Notice (click on link to open)
School District 82 Policy 1030 outlines student attendance/catchment area procedures in accordance with Ministry of Education policies on Schools of Choice. It is important that parents take note of specific deadlines defined within this policy and ensure the procedures listed below are followed:
- Students must be registered at their catchment area school.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Applications: After registering at your catchment area school, applications must be received at your school of choice by February 14, 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Confirmation of Cross Boundary Applications: By the first Friday following school opening, or as soon as possible following this date, pending staffing allocations and school configurations. Unsuccessful applicants may be held on a waiting list for the subsequent school year. Parents/guardians applying for Cross Boundary status are advised the decisions related to Cross Boundary Applications may not be decided until the first week of school in the 2020-2021 school year. Parents/guardians, therefore, must register first at their catchment area school.
- New In-Catchment Registrations: Registrations will be received up to March 13, 2020 for new students including Kindergarten. Applications received after this date will have to wait until school staffing is complete before receiving status of school enrolment. Wait-listed students who are in catchment area may be moved as soon as space is available.
- Notification of In-Catchment: Wait-listed in-catchment area students will be notified of their status for the school year as soon as possible or by the first Friday following school opening.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Students: Those students who do not live within the defined attendance areas for the school they wish to attend.
- In-Catchment Students: Those students who live in the attendance areas defined for each school.
Inquiries regarding catchment areas should be directed to the principal of the school.
For your convenience, provided below is the 2019-2020 CMSD82 School Principals Listing with contact numbers.
CMSD82 2019-2020 School Principals, Vice Principals & School Contact Listing
(click on link to open)
In preparation for the 2020-2021 school year, the Board of Education is seeking the cooperation of parents/guardians in registering their child on the following dates. Pre-registration is requested in order to provide the School District Administration the time to plan staffing to meet school needs.
Schools are open to take registration for Kindergarten from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. between January 13, 2020 and March 13, 2020.
The School District will make every effort to place students who have registered by March 13, 2020 in their catchment area school. Students registering after March 13, 2020 may not be granted place in their catchment area school.
To be eligible for entry to school in September 2020 students must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2020. A birth certificate, proof of immunization, a BC Care Card and parent/guardian proof of ordinarily resident will be required at the time of registration.
Acceptable documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident”:
- BCMSP (BC CareCard) coverage AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows; or
- Valid BC Services Card (replacement for BC CareCard) AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows
Supporting documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident” (address must match the address listed on the Student’s Registration & Verification Form):
- Provincial Driver’s License
- Document indicating British Columbia resident (i.e. utility bill)
- Proof of ownership of a dwelling or long-term lease or rental of a dwelling
- A current income tax return filed as a BC resident
To register for Kindergarten classes, please register your child at your neighbourhood primary/elementary school as detailed in the CMSD82 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration Procedures (click on link to open). If you wish information on school boundaries, please contact any of the principals as listed in the CMSD82 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration Procedures.
French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One:
- A student does not have to be of French origin to enrol in French Immersion.
- Registration for French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One takes place at schools indicated with an * as listed in the CMSD82 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration Procedures (click on link to open).
- Registration for French Immersion Grade One is for students presently attending Kindergarten in English, who would like to begin in the French Immersion Program.
The Board of Education for Coast Mountains School District 82 at its In Camera Board Meeting held yesterday afternoon, December 18, 2019 passed the following motion:
THAT the 2020-2021 Principal and Vice Principal Assignments remain status quo as of January 6, 2020 except in the event of resignations, retirements or other emergent situations as determined by the Acting Superintendent of Schools.
In an effort to formalize the school district’s processes related to Principal and Vice Principal re-assignments, and in light of several recommendations by Independent Consultant Dianne Turner, the Board of Education has rescinded the one-year transition plan as passed at the June 26, 2019 In Camera Board Meeting.
Specifically, the aforementioned motion rescinds the transition plan to re-assign Principals and Vice Principals for the 2020-2021 school year.
In the future, Principal and Vice Principal re-assignments will be conducted using a Change Management Protocol, which will be collaborative, consultative in structure, and as transparent as possible.
The Board of Education values the strength and dedication of all employees in the school district and looks forward to engaging and working together with all of our communities in the school district towards continued student success.
Acting Superintendent of Schools
In June 2019, the Board of Education for Coast Mountains School District 82 initiated a review to address concerns that were raised by students, parents, partner groups and communities. In order to ensure the process was objective and thorough, the Board of Education contracted Independent Consultant, Dianne Turner.
Ms. Turner was tasked to gather relevant information and provide recommendations for future actions to the Board of Education. The intent of this process was to address concerns raised within the school district and to identify processes moving forward, with the priority being placed on the well-being and learning of students in the district.
The Board of Education received Ms. Turner’s report and recommendations on November 27, 2019. The report is provided by accessing the following link:
On behalf of the Board of Education, we extend our appreciation to those who brought forward concerns and who were willing to be interviewed.
The next steps are to share the report and conduct a series of consultations. A public consultation forum will be held on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (formerly the Thornhill Junior/Secondary School) located at 3120 Highway 16 East in Terrace. If you are unable to attend the public consultation forum, or you prefer to submit your thoughts electronically, please email to email@example.com.
The Board of Education invites all interested parties to attend the public consultation forum to provide input into this dialogue and share their views on action planning.
Public participation is encouraged. Input and feedback is welcomed and valued by the Board of Education.
Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant to the Board of Education at (250) 638-4401.
Chairperson, Board of Education
Early Dismissal for the purpose of Reporting to Parents will take place Nov 27 & Nov 28. School will dismiss at 1:55 pm on both days and buses will run at that time. Parent – teacher – student conferences will take place Thursday, November 28th from 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Please sign and return the outside envelope. Any questions or concerns, please feel free to call the school and set up an appointment with the classroom teacher; they are more than willing to meet with you if you can’t make it Thursday. Book Fair is running both days from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. We look forward to seeing you all.
‘THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS’
Each class will be presenting a song, dance, poem related to their favourite things. Join us for a joyful afternoon or evening concert. Tickets for the concert will be going home during the first week in December. Please note that with staging and students in the gym their is limited seating available, so you will need a ticket. Each family will be issued a minimum number of tickets and if more are needed you will be placed on a wait list in the order in which your requests are returned to the office.
Entrance into the concert is a donation to the FOOD BANK – a non-perishable food item, clothing or toy will be collected at the door.
Countdown to Christmas …. YEAH!
We at school do our best to provide an exceptional standard of care for all our children. There are 157 students attending NHE and although we model, teach and remind students to dress appropriately for the weather, to sneeze in their sleeve, to wash their hands, to play safely and respectfully and to not share clothing, children will be children and do not always listen or remember the rules or the advice given. Children get sick from time to time, play rough on occasion, get lice sometimes – all of which can not be avoided.
Please help us by reminding your children to dress appropriately for the weather, to sneeze in their sleeve, to wash their hands, to play safely and respectfully and to not share clothing. It takes a village to raise a child!
|FRIENDLY REMINDER: CHILDREN ONLY STAY IN IF THE WEATHER INCLUDING THE WIND CHILL IS BELOW –20C – PLEASE ENSURE YOUR CHILD COMES TO SCHOOL DRESSED FOR OUTSIDE WEATHER!|