Coast Mountains’ schools and the Board of Education Office will be closed on Monday, November 13, 2017 in observance of Remembrance Day, and will re-open as regularly scheduled on Tuesday, November 14.
Remembrance Day assemblies will be held throughout our school district on Friday, November 10.
On this Remembrance Day, we pay tribute to those past and present who served our country with courage and compassion. Lest we forget …
Dear Parents, Guardians and Caregivers,
For your information, provided below are the bus schedules/routes for Hazelton, Kitwanga and area reflecting revisions effective September 25, 2017 to Routes #21, #22 (new run), #24, #25, #26 and #28. Also provided is a letter sent home on Thursday, September 21 for the information of parents, guardians and caregivers from our Director of Facility Services, Travis Elwood regarding the bussing changes and a reminder for families whose children require bussing services to ensure the 2017-2018 Bus Registration Form issued last school year is completed and submitted to their School Principal.
Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
(Note … the above link provides one PDF file providing all bus routes/schedules)
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
- Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
- Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
Welcome back to the 2017-2018 school year! The first of two Curriculum Implementation Days for the upcoming school year will be held on Tuesday, September 5. The second Curriculum Implementation Day is planned on Friday, April 13. These days are specifically dedicated to BC’s redesigned K-12 curriculum.
As previously shared, the following Curriculum Implementation Day sessions have been planned in Hazelton, Kitimat, Terrace and Stewart on Tuesday, September 5 … to view the program or “shape of the day” for these venues, please click on the links below:
Hazelton-Kitwanga K-12 Teachers – Hazelton Secondary School
Kitimat K-12 Teachers – Nechako Elementary School
Terrace-Thornhill K-9 – Skeena Middle School
Terrace-Thornhill Grades 10-12 Teachers – Caledonia Secondary School
Stewart K-12 Teachers – Bear Valley School
Should you have further questions or require additional information, please contact your School Principal for assistance.
A friendly reminder that all teaching staff are expected to be in attendance in one of the full-day sessions. Sign-in sheets will be on-site to document attendance. Individuals not present at a session will not be paid for the day.
Not unlike any other non-instructional day, part-time employees will be expected to attend the day at a rate consistent with that of their employment (if you are a .6 FTE employee, you are expected to attend for 60% of the day). Individuals are more than welcome to attend a greater portion of the day on a voluntary basis if they so desire. Teachers Teaching-on-Call are also welcome on a voluntary basis as desired.
CUPE members are welcome at the sessions, however, CUPE staff are responsible to their School Principal for activities of the day.
We also share the following link to the Student Learning Module package as pre-reading for the Computational Thinking presentations offered during the Kitimat and Hazelton/Kitwanga sessions:
In addition, we share a link to the School-Based Collaboration Form for completion by teaching staff attending the Kitimat and Hazelton/Kitwanga sessions for return to their School Principal at the session prior to the lunch break:
A special thanks is extended to the Curriculum Implementation Committee for their efforts and organization for this significant and important work for Coast Mountains’ learners.
We look forward to inspiring and engaging with you on September 5 as we begin a new school year!
Director of Instruction, School Support
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to welcome the school community to the 2017-2018 School Year! We are looking forward to working with all of you this year on behalf of Coast Mountains learners, and continue to make progress towards our district goals.
Shared Vision …“Coast Mountains School District: creating opportunities for learning, opportunities for life.”
District Goals … Raise literacy and numeracy levels for all of our learners. Graduation for every learner; crossing the stage with dignity, purpose and options. Enhance learner engagement, opportunities and choice through personalized learning.
I look forward to continue leading the way to turn these goals into reality, and I hope you will all join the Board of Education, School District 82 staff and myself in this quest for successful learning.
School Opening … the first day of school will be Wednesday, September 6. We have well established routines and we will follow our normal opening day routines with a shortened first day. Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time on September 6 with their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours. Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School students please reference below for September 6 start times. As you will know, these first days allow us to greet students, set preliminary enrolment and then prepare in earnest for the coming school days. Our first full day of school will be Thursday, September 7 with regular school hours and bus runs in effect. Bus routes and school start times are provided below.
If you require information on which school your child should attend, please call (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Local 4401.
We look forward to welcoming your children in our schools on September 6.
Superintendent of Schools
Kindergarten pupils are requested to begin attending
on the date arranged by the school. Pupils not pre-registered should register on the
SCHOOL OPENING – SEPTEMBER 6, 2017 FOR ALL STUDENTS
at the times as listed in the following 2017-2018 CMSD82 Return to School Messages
which will run in local newspapers in preparation for the new school year.
CMSD82 2017-2018 Hazelton & Kitwanga Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Kitimat Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Terrace & Thornhill Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Stewart Return to School Message
- On September 6 only, buses for all schools will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours.
- On September 6, Mount Elizabeth Middle School, Grades 7 to 9, report to the large gym at 9:00 a.m.; Mount Elizabeth Secondary School, Grades 10 to 12, report to their home room at 12:30 p.m. A second bus run for Mount Elizabeth Secondary will begin at 11:40 a.m. on September 6.
REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS AND BUS RUNS WILL COMMENCE
ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2017.
SCHOOL DISTRICT 2017-2018 BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES
Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year (includes revised Bus Routes #26 and #29)
Kitimat Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
Terrace-Thornhill Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
(above links provide one PDF file for each respective area with all bus routes/stops)
Terrace: School buses will only be provided to students living outside the city boundaries. Those students living within city boundaries should consult the Terrace Regional Transit System for scheduling information and rates at 250-635-2666.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
1) Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
2) Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
In preparation for the 2017-2018 School Year, please find the School Supply Lists as provided by Coast Mountains School District schools:
- Bear Valley School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 12)
- Ecole Mountainview – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Hazelton Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 8 & 9)
- Kildala Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6, English & French Programs)
- Kitwanga Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Majagaleehl Gali Aks Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Mount Elizabeth Middle-Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grade 7)
- Nechako Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten, Grades 1, 2 & 3)
- Nechako Elementary School 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 4, 5 & 6)
- New Hazelton Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Parkside Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List
- Skeena Middle School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 7, 8 & 9)
- Thornhill Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Grade 4 to 6)
- Uplands Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Cassie Hall Elementary School, Suwilaawks Community School and Thornhill Primary School provide classroom supplies to students for a fee. Parents will be provided information during the first week of school.
- Caledonia Secondary School, Hazelton Secondary School (Grades 10-12), Kitimat City High School and Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School (Grades 8-12) provide information relating to classroom supplies to students during the first week of school.
Should you require further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office at (250) 638-4401 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to Coast Mountains’ students return to school on September 6, 2017. Have a wonderful summer!
The school district’s School Calendar Committee was reconvened on January 24, 2017 to revisit the 2017-2018 School Calendar in relation to the Ministry of Education requirement to add 5 hours of non-instructional time to the 2017-2018 school year designated for the redesigned curriculum. This addition of hours will reduce instructional hours equivalent to one regular school day. The 2017-2018 School Calendar was previously recommended by the School Calendar Committee in spring 2015 to the Education Committee, approved by the Board of Education and submitted to the Ministry of Education.
The following specific changes were made to the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar as recommended by the School Calendar Committee in collaboration with the Coast Mountain Teachers’ Federation:
- September 5, 2017 will be designated as a full Curriculum Implementation Day
- April 13, 2018 will be designated as a full Curriculum Implementation Day
- April 20, 2018 Professional Development Day will be re-designated to May 18, 2018
- May 25, 2018 District Planning Day will be designated as a Regular Day of Instruction
The Board of Education approved the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar at its February 22, 2017 Regular Board Meeting with final approval recently received from the Ministry of Education.
Kindly note the first day of school for the 2017-2018 School Year will be Wednesday, September 6, 2017.
To view or download the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar and Backgrounder, please access the following links:
A letter to parents/guardians from our Superintendent of Schools, Katherine McIntosh along with the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar and Backgrounder will be sent home with students this week.
Further information regarding the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar can be obtained by contacting Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the School Board Administration Office at (250) 638-4401.
A reminder that all schools within Coast Mountains School District 82 and the Board of Education Office will be closed for Good Friday, April 14 and Easter Monday, April 17.
All schools will be back in session on Tuesday, April 18 as regularly scheduled.
Wishing all of our students and staff a safe and happy Easter long weekend!